Thursday, October 8, 2015

Ariana Grande Kissed a Girl then Laughed. I'm Disappointed, Frankly.

I'm not sure where the trend started, but too many people have taken 'pretend gay' actions just for fun. The latest appears to be Ariana Grande, who posted a video (by mistake, she claims) of herself kissing another girl and then having a laugh.

As a strong gay and lesbian community ally, I have to say that I am frankly very disappointed. Imagine if someone pretended to be disabled and then having a laugh. I don't think it would be very well received, especially in the entertainment industry. However, the same industry has been more than OK with things like Britney Spears fake-kissing Madonna (2003), Katy Perry's ultimately disrespectful hit I Kissed A Girl (2008), and now this. It's really time people stop pretending it's OK.

Pretending to be something and then having a laugh is really the same as laughing at that something. There's no way around this, in my opinion. Even anti-PC me needs to say this. Sorry.


Download the full song here.