Thursday, May 26, 2016

Listening to Hailee Steinfeld: Is Life all a matter of Perspective?

I've been listening to Hailee Steinfeld's new single Rock Bottom a lot these few weeks, and I've been having trouble picturing what she means by the 'right side of rock bottom' and how one can 'keep falling' from there. I've asked a few of my friends, and they don't seem to know either.

One friend, who just came out of a life crisis and a bad relationship, did remark to me that she may be at 'the right side of rock bottom', having just come out of rock bottom itself. She certainly didn't want to 'keep falling' though.

Does anyone want to 'keep falling' in life or in relationships though? Initially I thought no, but then, Hailee did say she 'hope that we keep falling', right? Given that some people like to ride roller-coasters (not me), the idea that there's an appeal in 'falling' sure makes some sense.

Why's there a song celebrating the idea of 'rock bottom' anyway? Wouldn't one hate to be there?

Life's confusing. But maybe it's all a matter of perspective.

Anyway, have a listen and tell me what you think.