Saturday, January 18, 2014

How a Tweet got One Direction's Liam Payne Misunderstood

I don't watch things like Duck Dynasty, but many people do, and many are big fans of the show. Which is understandable - some people do like that sort of thing. One of them is One Direction's Liam Payne, apparently.

After Willie's father, Phil, made some anti-gay comments in an interview with GQ magazine last month, praising Duck Dynasty's people in public has become a no-no in some sections of the community. Recently, Liam tweeted to Willie Robertson, saying 'huge love to you/your family huge respect for your business prosperities and the family values you still all behold'. This did not go down well with some sections of the internet. Some people went on and on about how disappointed with Liam they were.

Liam clarified himself later. "Being a fan of someones show and the way they still hold a family together doesnt mean i am ok with all they say," he wrote. But some people still weren't satisfied.

I am heartened to see people take a stand against homophobia, as always. But I think in this instance some people have gone a little bit overboard. I mean, I do trust that Liam didn't mean to support homphobia, it's hard to believe otherwise really. So why are some people not letting this go? It's as if nobody can say anything remotely controversial nowadays (except when it relates to drug use). It's sad, really.

Equally saddening is some people's picking on Liam's use of the 'buzzword' family values. I mean, I understand that the fundamentalist right version of 'family values' wasn't exactly gay inclusive, but haven't we moved beyond that? Family values can be inclusive of everyone, and that is the kind of family values I subscribe to myself. Indeed, it is family values that are driving me to put marriage equality at the top of my political priorities. Please don't hate on 'family values' just because some people have distorted it.

By TaraElla (News, Website) Discuss at the Forum!