Monday, May 30, 2016

So Taylor Swift's Presentation is considered Conservative? It shouldn't be just relative, you know.

Recently, I've overheard some people question why Taylor Swift's presentation has remained quite 'conservative', compared with others in the music industry. There was even a suggestion that she may be 'dog whistling' to more conservative elements of society.

Excuse me, Taylor Swift's presentation as conservative? It's like saying that the Westboro Baptist Church has remained quite mild in their homophobia, compared with homophobes in Africa. Relative comparisons like that are meaningless, and are eroding the meaning of our words and our language.

In my modest opinion, whilst not meaning to be judgemental, I actually prefer Taylor Swift's presentation style prior to 2014, when she was, in fact, more modest. Whilst I fully respect those who don't see it the same way as myself, there is always a moral virtue in presenting modestly, I believe. It's not for 'dog whistling' to conservatives.