Friday, May 5, 2017

I Can't Trust Katy Perry Anymore. She just sounded like a Donald Trump Supporter. I can't be sure she isn't one, in fact.

I don't mind real Trump supporters at all. I just don't like fake people. Fake people have no Princess's Spirit.

Recently, Katy Perry has received a lot of backlash over a 'joke' involving former president Barack Obama. During an Instagram Live Exchange session, a fan said that they missed her old black hair. To which Katy replied, something like "miss Obama as well? Times change."

People are obviously upset. Some have even said that this was an act of microagression towards the former president. Which I don't agree - because I don't believe in microaggressions. I also think that Obama would be too worried about the state his country is in right now to have any time for Katy Perry. But what Katy said was really insensitive: not to the great man himself, but to the millions of people around the world who actually miss him. After all, many of us truly, truly don't like Trump very much, and wish that it was still the Obama era.

Some people have described Katy Perry simply as a celebrity who didn't know what to say. But that's really unconvincing. We're talking about a women in her 30s who has travelled the world and made lots of money.

Which brings me onto my next point: most of my friends are in the miss Obama, wish Hillary had won camp. If I said something like what Katy said, it wouldn't have been interpreted as a joke. They would think I was out of my mind. Anyone who truly understands the pain and fear many have suffered since November last year would know that this would not be an appropriate 'joke' to tell. Not that it sounded like a joke at all either: it sounds like something a die-hard Trump supporter would say to us to rub the salt in. I really cannot help but think that Katy Perry's support of the liberal side of politics was perhaps never sincere at all. How else could she be so thick?

I have long found Katy Perry's sincerity suspicious. After all, she started her career with the offensive anthem Ur So Gay, and followed it up with the equally offensive but dressed up as fun I Kissed A Girl. My gay friends didn't find these songs funny at all. It's hard not to take it personally when the lyrics say 'it's not what good girls do, not how they should behave'. You can't get any more explicitly homophobic than that. But then, Katy supported marriage equality and even challenged former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott on this issue. So I tried to believe in her.

But I can't anymore. She's in my suspicious book again.

p.s. I don't mind real Trump supporters at all. Also, I'm a pro-liberty liberal.