Friday, November 29, 2013

I Really Cannot Understand Lorde Sometimes

In case you have been living under a rock, New Zealand musician Lorde has made headlines in recent months by her song Royals going top 5 almost everywhere.

To be honest, I personally do not get the appeal of Lorde's music. It's just not my cup of tea, I guess. But I wouldn't say it's bad. Some of her comments are, in my opinion, a bit weird.

For example, she recently said that Taylor Swift was too unattainable. "Taylor Swift is so flawless, and so unattainable, and I don’t think it’s breeding anything good in young girls," she said. Later she apparently said it referred to Taylor's physical beauty and maybe her talent. However, the industry is full of impossibly beautiful people - why did she choose Taylor Swift, and only Taylor Swift to make the point? Plus the "it’s breeding anything good in young girls" part - what was that supposed to mean? I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift is more than good for the young girls who like her. I'm pretty sure if I had a younger sister I would prefer that she liked Taylor Swift than Lady Gaga, for example.

I found her comments on Selena Gomez's Come and Get It much more appropriate, however. "I’m a feminist, and the theme of her song is, ‘When you’re ready come and get it from me.’ I’m sick of women being portrayed this way," she said. Though I personally would not call myself a feminist, I really took issue with the theme of that song, and frankly I felt guilty even liking it a bit. So thank you for speaking up.

By TaraElla (News, Website) Discuss at the Forum!