Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I 'Hate Iggy Azalea' Because I 'Hate Hip Hop'? Not really.

After my recent comments about my dislike of Iggy Azalea's current hit Fancy, some have apparently linked that to my previous comments a few years ago about my then negative views about hip hop. Well, firstly I have made it clear that I don't hate hip hop anymore, I was concerned about the racism, sexism and homophobia it sometimes displayed, but I think things are getting better there. Hip hop will never be my favourite genre, but I have nothing against it. I even promoted Macklemore's Same Love amongst my friends last year!

And I don't hate Iggy either. I don't hate people without good reason. I only hate people whose actions have negative consequences on others' lives - like Australia's current Prime Minister Tony Abbott (look it up if you want to know how bad he is). However, I have to honestly say that I dislike that song. I don't understand how anyone would like it either - all I can say is that I respect everyone's tastes in music.

In short: It was purely about dislike of a song, not a person, and definitely not a whole genre.