Sunday, June 8, 2014

Miley "grotesque" and "disgusting"? I Think She Actually Needs Help

There have been rumours that one well known musician said that Miley Cyrus's recent VMA performance was "grotesque" and "disgusting", rumours that have since been reported to be false. (In the interest of not spreading false rumours, I will not name the said celebrity.) Even though we now know the story is untrue, some of my friends did say that they agreed that the performance would deserve those harsh words. One even said that everything Miley did in the past year would fit that description.

I myself have been quite harsh on Miley too, shocked by her sudden change. She was one of my favourite artists before, you know. But on further thinking, maybe I was a bit too tough. Honestly, I have to say that the VMA performance was horrible, as were most of the recent performances and music videos. But really, in Miley I still see someone in need of help rather than condemnation.

Surely I don't like her new music anymore. It doesn't mean I have no sympathy about her condition. I think she doesn't know how to 'grow up' and project a confident, interesting and unique persona. Surely, being controversial gets people talking. But I think one has to understand that there are better ways to be 'interesting'. I hope she learns one day. I also happen to think that this is a problem facing many young people today. I think it's something we all need to think about, collectively.