Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ruby Rose, Cara Delevingne and More: can we say that Taylor Swift's Friendship Circle is Queer-Inclusive?

TaraElla: Maybe Taylor Swift does stand for something important, after all. The other day I read this article which pointed out that her friendship circle is in fact very queer inclusive. There was even this photo of Taylor and about a dozen of her friends. In there was Ruby Rose and her girlfriend, and Cara Delevingne and her girlfriend. That's about 25% queer, about 12 times the population average. I don't think this inclusiveness is deliberate, but it's good that she's doing this.

Jess: I rather think she decided there should be an LGBT quota because it would look good.

Katie: I'm with Jess here. It looks calculated, just like many of Taylor Swift's other activities.

TaraElla: If it were calculated, shouldn't the quota be more like 2%, in line with the population average?

Jess: I just think she has set the quota super high to make her look super-inclusive. But anyway, it would still send a good message to young people out there.

TaraElla: I still disagree that somehow this isn't genuine, but I think we can agree that by being so inclusive she's doing something great, setting an example for girls out there.

Katie: But seriously, who cares what Taylor Swift does? I don't, and I never will.

TaraElla: You may not care, but quite a few people out there do, and she has set a great example for them. So at least, she has done her bit to change the world.