Monday, May 27, 2013

Selena Gomez, Spring Breakers and my 90s Standards

Some people have responded to my post about Selena Gomez and her recent appearance on Spring Breakers with a question: why am I being so negative on her, given that I have said that I don't abide by 1950s standards, and rather exalt a 90s-esque balance. There have been plenty of people who dress sexily in the 1990s, they said, and I haven't judged them this way.

But it is about the content and market too. Does Selena Gomez still want to be part of the family friendly market or not? This is the central question. In the good old days, where my standards were formed, people had a right to be 'sexy', but those who want to sell to family friendly markets will always be somewhat, well, family friendly at least, and will not appear in movies like Spring Breakers, in my opinion.

The ultimate question remains, does Selena Gomez still want to be part of the family friendly market or not? I really hope she does.

By TaraElla (News, Website)