Monday, September 16, 2013

No Drugs = Good Role Model?

Some people have been talking to me about my recent comments that Diana Vickers was a good role model because she hasn't tried drugs. Am I being judgmental about people who have used drugs, I was asked. And how about somebody who doesn't use drugs, but is racist and homophobic?

Well, I am not saying that somebody who doesn't use drugs are automatically a good role model, or that somebody who uses drugs are automatically no good. But there is really an imbalance regarding the 'debate' on recreational drugs out there. There are plenty of people representing the side that believes that marijuana and other drugs are fun and totally benign out there in Hollywood and other popular culture scenes. The other side of the debate, that a drug-free life is worth it, is underrepresented at the moment. As a proponent on the drug-free side, I just like to see more people representing our side. After all, I strongly believe that a drug-free life is something people can benefit from, and I would like to see that idea promoted - just as some people want to promote the idea that drugs are harmless.

In short, I remain respectful to other people's personal choices. But I don't like to see a serious 'debate' skewed in favour of one side, and I am more than happy to see that changed.

By TaraElla (News, Website) Discuss at the Forum!